Random header image... Refresh for more!
Jun-22-2010

Secret sushi spot?

In today’s Chronicle, columnist C.W. Nevius leaves us hanging with a less than complete description about a “sensational sushi place out in the Richmond that has devoted customers waiting outside the door for as long as an hour.”

A couple of caveats: incredibly small; a strict list of rules ranging from “No complaining” to “No fork, no Coke”; and not open on weekends.

One more thing – I can’t give you the name. First, because it doesn’t appear to have a name on the front. And second, when I asked if I could mention them in The Chronicle, I was given an emphatic one-word answer – “No!”

So, RichmondSFBlog readers, where is this sensational, secret spot?

Sarah B.

P.S. I really don’t know – I’m asking you guys! Someone emailed me with this: “I *think* he’s talking about the place on Balboa btwn 6th and 7th.” Could this be the place?

P.P.S. – It is indeed Tekka at 537 Balboa. SFAppeal has a good shot of the rules sign in the window. Gotta wonder what that third rule is that has tape over it…

Bookmark and Share

9:52 am | Posted under Food | 12 comments
  1. Ben said:

Do tell!

2. Alex said:

3. MissTdJ said:

Hmmm… my guess is either Tekka or Okina?

4. Administrator said:

@Alex – No, meaning that’s not the spot? Or you won’t share he secret? ;)

A tweeter seems to think it might be Okina Sushi at Arguello and Cabrillo…

Sarah B.

5. Alex said:

No, in the crotchety spirit of the place :)

It is definitely Tekka on Balboa. I lived two blocks away. The “rules” sign is posted in the window. I have heard that it was a gift, and that they aren’t strictly enforced; that said, I haven’t violated any of them.

6. Administrator said:

LOL, Alex.

It is indeed Tekka at 537 Balboa. SFAppeal has a good shot of the rules sign in the window:

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sarah B.

7. Ryan said:

I love Tekka. It is easily overlooked since Sushi Bistro is a few blocks down and much more popular. Usually try and get there right after work, and usually four or five people ahead of me.

8. Nate Miller said:

Yes, i knew it was Tekka as well. Another similar place that is rarely open but very great is hidden next to the Arguello super market.

On a seperate note, this is one of the first things that the recent suburban transplant (Nevius) has expressed that he likes about the city.

9. Susannah said:

Nate or anyone else: What’s the name of the place next to the Arguello supermarket, and what are its hours? I have run by there a number of times and always wondered if it’s any good. Would love to hear more about it.

10. Administrator said:

Hi Susannah – The one on Arguello is Okina Sushi:

Sarah B.

11. Beth Bromfield said:

Thanks everyone. We’re always looking for good sushi in the neighborhood.

12. Richmond San Francisco neighborhood from richmondsfblog.com said:

[...] – I could go on and on. Some are little holes in the wall with 5 or 6 tables that people try to keep secret, while others are earning Michelin stars. We like it [...]

css.php