Happy Friday to everyone! Here are some local links to take you into what we hope is a great weekend. – Sarah B.
- State Senator Mark Leno was in the neighborhood last Saturday. While here, he honored Green Apple Books and Joe’s Ice Cream as Small Businesses of the Year for 2013. Congrats to both of them!
- Next Tuesday, Blondlogic, a purveyor of new and consigned women’s clothes and accessories at 792 Arguello, will celebrate their third birthday. To celebrate, stop by for some late night shopping, wine and live music from Em K from 5pm to 10pm (music starts at 7pm). Ever wonder why they called the store Blondlogic? Owner Sally Hanley says because that’s how smart they were to open a new business in what was then a depressed economy…
- Reader Gabriel reports that there is a notice for change of ownership at Fredy’s Deli out on La Playa. Look for a new name – Kawika’s Ocean Beach Deli – in the near future.
- The ban on overnight parking for large RV’s and campers in the outer Richmond and other areas is working ao well that there are plans to extend the affected area. “Along La Playa Street and the Great Highway, for example, 21 oversize vehicles were known to park. But after three months of enforcing the new law, just two were counted in October.” [SF Examiner]
- Paul’s Hat Works is about ready to open their second location – in Kentucky! We wish them well on their November 22 grand opening, and loved their new commercial… “It’s Your Head, Put a Hat on It” – makes perfect sense to us 🙂
- And as it turns out, we do live WAY out here… The new bike sharing program that the city started is doing well, but project manager Heath Maddox told the SF Bay Guardian that expansion to the west side will never happen. The reason? “The eastern side of the city has more economic and population density, making for more bike usage. As for the west side, he said, “the economics aren’t there.” Perhaps the bike rental company in GGP wouldn’t take kindly to it either…
- The Western Neighborhoods Project, a non-profit dedicated to preserving the history of the western parts of San Francisco, recently moved their headquarters into the neighborhood at 4016 Geary. Director Woody LaBounty tells us “we’ll likely get a spiffy sign or two to announce our presence.”
- We love Golden Gate Park but so do butterflies apparently. A recent SF Chronicle article profiled the efforts to restore healthy habitats for butterflies in the park. Project co-founder Liam O’Brien calls Strawberry Hill a “singles bar” for butterflies. Boom chicka boom.
- Want to get your groove on? Then head over to the Shan-Yee Poon Ballet School on Arguello near Clement for the Mission Groove hip-hop dance class taught by Jenya Lum. It’s every Monday night from 7pm until 8:15pm, all levels welcome.