Comedian and actor Adam Corolla was at the Balboa on Tuesday night for a screening of his new film, “Road Hard”. Photo by Laura Dudnick
It’s Thursday, people! Here are some local links to push you through to the weekend. 🙂
- This weekend are neighborhood free days at the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. Residents in the zip codes 94118 and 94121 can get free admission. Visiting adults are limited to six children for free entry. Proof of residency is required.
- A pedestrian was struck by a van while crossing Geary at 26th Avenue on Wednesday morning. “The pedestrian was unconscious but breathing after being hit in the crosswalk, Esparza said. He was taken to a hospital with what are considered life-threatening injuries,” according to the San Jose Mercury News. UPDATE: We are sad to report that the victim did not survive; more details here.
- The de Young and Legion of Honor Museums have been beefing up their tech offerings lately. The de Young has partnered with Guidekick to be included in a new iOS mobile app that allows users to be their own tour guides of the de Young’s collections, building, and surrounding environment. The museum will also soon unveil a new app that provides visitors with a self-guided tour of the sculptures and architecture at the de Young and Legion. And finally, the de Young recently highlighted the use of a “Beam” device, which allows visitors with disabilities to remotely visit the museum using a robot.
- Bolditalic did a nice feature on the Royal Market & Bakery on Geary, which is packed with Armenian and Russian groceries and baked goods. “Royal Market is one of the best in its class, a standing confirmed by word of mouth that travels from friends and Richmond locals.”
- Got some good penguin sense? The Academy of Sciences is asking for the public’s help in naming two African penguin chicks that hatched in November. Members of the public can log on to www.calacademy.org/name-a-penguin to cast a vote for one of the names that have been submitted by local museums (Bert, Bufano or Ebb for the male penguin and Nori, Pina or Stella for the female). The winning names will be announced March 25.
- Neighborhood website ob-kc.com, which is best known for its live webcam overlooking Ocean Beach (much lauded by surfers and sunset fans), is asking for donations to help cover site expenses. Drop in if you’d like to help out.
- So sad to hear of Leonard Nimoy’s passing recently. In tribute, the Balboa Theater will be screening two of Spock’s best films next Wednesday beginning at 7pm: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.
Artist Jay Mercado‘s iconic donut paintings are currently on display at CK Contemporary Gallery in downtown San Francisco (357 Geary). Aside from the 10th & Clement donut shop being 1 block from his California Street studio, Jay has other, more sentimental reasons for painting them. “Convenience of a subject notwithstanding, donuts are iconic. They represent a nostalgic whimsy. As a boy donuts were my reward at the last stop on my SF Chronicle paper route, a donut shop. Back then a hot cinnamon roll was my donut of choice. For me it was the king of donuts.”