Ears still ringing from Outside Lands? Here are some local links to bring you down:
- Earlier this year, Safeway and Albertsons completed their merger. Still pending were the remodel plans for the La Playa Safeway near Ocean Beach. We learned last week that the development / remodel plans for the La Playa Safeway have been put on hold indefinitely. The store will undergo some sprucing up during the last quarter of 2015. The store will remain open during the upgrades. However the plans for residential housing on the north end of the Safeway property and a complete remodel of the La Playa Safeway store are on hold.
- Attention stargazers! The Perseid meteor showers are putting on a show this week. According to NASA, it’s expected to peak during the overnight hours of Aug. 12 into the morning of Aug. 13. Meteors will be visible starting around 10 p.m. eastern, but the best time to catch a glimpse will be around 4 a.m. Eastern Time, “when up to 100 meteors per hour may be visible from a dark sky”. We hear Fort Miley is a good spot for stargazing.
- Did you know we have a few official San Francisco landmarks in the Richmond District? They include the Alfred G. Hanson residence on 27th Avenue (one of the very early houses built in the neighborhood), the Richmond branch library on 9th Avenue, St. John’s Presbyterian on the corner of Lake and Arguello, and the Campfire Girls building at 325 Arguello (now the Rosenburg Early Childhood Center, “a significant example of Bay Area Craftsman style architecture”). We would have thought the Legion of Honor would make the cut but no dice! Check out more city landmarks on this SF Planning map
- If you’re into historic photos of old San Francisco, don’t miss the new photography exhibit “Portals of the Past: The Photographs of Willard Worden” at the de Young Museum. It features a survey of Worden’s photographs from the first two decades of the 20th century, including views of San Francisco’s coastline and Golden Gate Park, as well as his work as one of the official photographers of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition (PPIE), the 1915 world’s fair held in San Francisco. We love this haunting 1904 image of a stormy view of the Cliff House.
- The Richmond District Neighborhood Center is hosting their 2nd annual Wine on the Westside fundraiser on Thursday, September 10 at La Promenade Cafe on Balboa. The event features local wines, neighborhood eats and live music, with all proceeds benefiting the Food Security Network, a program that connects neighborhood volunteers with mobility impaired seniors for friendship and a weekly delivery of groceries. Tickets are available online or contact the RDNC at 415-751-6600.
- More on old photographs… SFGate intro’d us to the interesting Lawrence & Houseworth collection of old San Francisco stereographs from the mid-1860’s. Check out the barren shot below that overlooks the Cliff House and Seal Rocks.