Happy Hump Day, Richmond District! Here are some local links to get you started:
- Google announced a new initiative called Project Sunroof that allows users to put in their address, and get the details on a solar installation on their home. Find out how much sunlight your property gets each year, the estimated net savings for your roof with a 20-year lease, and the pricing breakdowns from different solar providers and options (buying vs. leasing).
- Get ready for Fiorella, a new casual Italian restaurant opening at 2339 Clement (formerly Shimo) in December. The menu will include fresh pastas, pizza, crostini, and antipasti. This is a venture from Boris Nemchenok, owner of Uva Enoteca on Haight Street. “As a kid, I immigrated from the Soviet Union to The Richmond District…I’m so excited to bring delicious food and great Italian wines – in a true neighborhood setting – to The Richmond.”
- The 10 year anniversary of the new de Young building is approaching and the museum wants to hear from you. Have you experienced a favorite exhibition or seen a painting you just can’t forget? Stolen a kiss on the observation level, with all of San Francisco at your feet? Tell them your story
- It’s not the running of the bulls, but on September 12 the Presidio Trust will host “Super Science Saturday + Turtle Release” at Mountain Lake (1-4pm). The afternoon will feature activity and information booths, a special lecture by SF Zoo Director of Conservation Jessie Bushell, and the release of native Western pond turtles into the lake. The Western pond turtles were collected and hatched by Sonoma State University, reared at the zoo, and will now be making their home at Mountain Lake. The event takes place at the north end of the lake (map); the turtle release is at 3pm.
- There’s a new director at the Richmond District Neighborhood Center – Michelle Cusano. Cusano has worked with the Richmond District Neighborhood Center as Director of the Richmond Village Beacon for 8 years. She began working with RDNC in 2001 as After School Program Manager at Presidio Middle School. Cusano has a strong background in nonprofit management and program development and is an Alumni of Americorps and Leadership San Francisco. “I am honored to continue to work with the neighbors, families, friends, and community partners whom I’ve worked with for so many years in this new role and to take our organization to new levels,” said Cusano. “ I am ready to further the legacy of my predecessors, who’ve had such an impact on our community.”
- A project called “Reality Documentary: Flop House” was filmed at the interior of 427 4th Avenue on Monday. Reader Jessica saw a notice posted on street poles. We can’t find any info online but based on the title, it doesn’t sound like that property’s value will be going up anytime soon…
- The annual San Francisco Zinefest is coming up at the San Francisco County Fair Building Golden in Gate Park on Sunday, September 6 (11am-5pm). Over 200 creators will be featured in two huge exhibition halls. SF Zine Fest will host a community of writers, artists, and zinesters, ranging from individual DIY creators to nationally recognized small-press publishers. International, national and local creators based throughout the Bay Area will be exhibiting their work.