Happy Friday Richmond folk! Here are some local links for your almost-weekend.
- There’s a Police Community Forum meeting this Sunday at 11:30am, hosted by St. James Episcopal Church (4620 California St. at 8th Ave.). SFPD Richmond Station Captain Simon Silverman will be there and the forum us designed to discuss public safety, community relations, and the Captain’s priorities after one year as our local station chief.
- It’s auction time for a couple of neighborhood organizations. Argonne School has an online silent auction that includes VIP passes to Outside Lands, Giants stuff, kids camps, and hotel stays. The Richmond District YMCA is holding their annual silent auction on Thursday, April 2 from 6pm to 10pm. Tickets to the event, which will feature catering by Burma Superstar and BStar (and free childcare!), are available online.
- The Chronicle’s “City Exposed” column has an interesting article on the keeper of the Land’s End labyrinth. “I didn’t choose the place. I think it chose me,” she said. “I didn’t even know what a labyrinth was. It just felt good.”
- The driver who fatally struck an 87-year old man in the crosswalk at Geary and 26th Avenue last week has been arrested and charged with felony vehicular manslaughter. Investigators determined the victim, Alfred Yee, was walking north across Geary Boulevard in the crosswalk when the driver, Daniel Schultz, 40, made a left turn from 26th Avenue and struck him. Schultz stopped at the scene but was not arrested until this week. [SF Bay]
- Foggy Notion owner Alissa Anderson was interviewed recently by the SF Etsy blog. Anderson talks about opening her business, how she finds products, her additional sewing business, and her participation in the merchant community of the Richmond District. Foggy Notion is now open 7 days a week, 275 6th Avenue.
- The Golden Gate National Recreation Area, which includes the coastline in the Presidio, Land’s End, Sutro Park and Ocean Beach, has a new chief. Christine Lehnertz, a biologist and regional manager for the National Park Service, will become superintendent of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area in May. [SFGate]
- The YMCA’s Presidio Trail Run on April 26 is looking for volunteers from 6:45-10:45am as course monitors, support at water stations and race bib/t-shirt pick up. If interested, contact Lindsay at email@example.com.