Archive for the ‘Video’ Category
Reader Kevin A. captured this video of a coyote hunting for a snack at Sutro Park on Tuesday evening around 8:30pm.
“I actually witnessed it catching 3 gophers within a couple of minutes!” Kevin told us.
Maybe Rec & Park should employ this guy for pest control?
Sarah B.11:43 am | Posted under Video, Wildlife | 1 comment
Photo by Tony Jameson
Happy Thursday to everyone! Here are some local updates to get you to Friday…
- At Sunday Streets last weekend on the Great Highway, a group tried to break the Guinness World Record for the longest skate chain. They didn’t succeed but it made for some good photos
- The two sisters that were arrested this week on allegations of operating a sex-trafficking ring in the Richmond District were released on $50,000 bail. They have been charged with seven counts of pimping, seven counts of pandering, one count of conspiracy to pimp and one count of conspiracy to pander after allegedly operating brothels at 385 Seventh Ave. and 4719 Geary Blvd. They are due to be arraigned on Friday. [SF Chronicle]
- We see coyotes frequently in the Richmond District, and one San Francisco woman has taken it upon herself to study and photograph them. “I do it because I love coyotes and want to dispel myths about them,” Kessler said. “I want to help people understand how we can coexist peacefully with these beautiful animals.” She’s also produced videos to educate people on how to get along with coyotes.
- The Tidy Shoppe at 4050 Geary is offering new makeup classes. The first one on June 26 from 7-9pm is focused on “smokey eyes” and features instruction from Cindy Chan. The cost is $40 and you bring your own makeup. Sign up via their Facebook page or call 668-4050.
- Green Apple Books will open their second location on 9th Avenue in the Inner Sunset on August 1. Get all the details here including a look at the logo for the new store.
- Speaking of Green Apple, owner Pete Mulvihill met a new “pal” at a recent event in NYC:
Celebrate the release of my pal's latest memoir, Hard Choices, by buying it locally. Here we are in NYC last week! pic.twitter.com/jCY5ge7Llv
— Green Apple Books (@GreenAppleBooks) June 10, 2014
- We don’t think we’ll ever “get” this business, or understand how they even STAY in business, but they continue to attract media attention. A journalist for Vice magazine paid a visit to the face-slapping masseuses at 14th Avenue and Geary. “The routine was like a bit from the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers World Tour Live on Stage—but considering I was in a place where beauty-conscious people pay big bucks to get slapped in the face, how could I expect anything else?” Definitely one of the more bizarre pieces we’ve read this year.
- Prelinger Archives found some unseen footage of Ocean Beach and Playland from 1942-43. In it you can see the Lurline Pier stretching out into the ocean, which was the intake pipe for pumping saltwater to the old Lurline Baths and Olympic Club pools downtown.
Mike L. sent us this video of him and a buddy paddleboarding from Fort Point to Ocean Beach recently. Along the way, they met up with some Grey whales (and frolicking dolphins too).
My bud and I paddle boarded from Fort Point, San Francisco to Ocean Beach. We had the pleasure to have some beautiful video of Grey whales playing in Kelly’s cove. Watch til the end where there is a whale encounter
The viewing gets good right around the 2:15 mark and an amazing up-close-and-personal breech at the 3:20 mark.
The paddleboarders spoke with KTVU about their encounter:
Looks like someone rigged up a camera on a small craft of some sort, and managed to grab some nice video of the Ocean Beach surf (and some surfers). The music, well that could use some work, but we’re digging the visuals
And another one: